Saturday, December 6, 2008

GUN - A JEWISH PROTECTION ?

Hold on to guns in a Shabbat?


I had never thought about Jewish people having to carry a gun…and especially on Shabbat, but as terrorism is going Jew hunting all over these days, and after the Mumbai attack, I read an article in the India times stating that an Indian Jewish police officer happened to carry a gun on the Shabbat following the attack – regardless of any complication of Jewish law, due to the unknown course of matters.

I got curious about the issue and researched a little bit of such controversial issue involving Jews and guns. I particularly never ever dreamed of even thinking about it, but, noticing the vulnerability of many Jewish people in war zone areas or nowadays, just the fact of being alive, any western is a target.

Then, I came to realize that in Eretz Israel many Yehudim are allowed to carry guns on Shabbos , since it’s a matter of life safety – but, in order to do so they have to put it attached to their belts, and when in shul put it aside. For me, just to imagine such a reality is trembling enough, you probably have to be double careful in every step in every way.

Honestly it’s a confusing matter for me, but for many, especially in Israel it’s a reality; the world is becoming more and more dangerous, but would a gun save the life of those in the chabad house in Mumbai?

It’s hard for me to ponder whether a gun would save anyone’s life; first of all each case is different, but in general owning a gun requires lots more of responsibility 24/7. In many cases, people who aren’t prepared and trained happen to kill a loved one, partners, and relatives accidently or purposely willing do so, besides that some depressed person or mentally challenged person due to suicidal feelings could take their lives easily having a gun at hand.

The question rises when genuinely people become targets, like most Jews in Israel who need to get proper training and then get their guns on. Now, in the Mumbai case, the better option would have been that the Chabad house should have proper security system, security guards (well trained), safe locks, camera circuit and other equipments to facilitate the security of our Jewish brethren who selflessly engaged in the Mitzvah of caring for their fellow.

If some rabbis should get guns, honestly they should get proper training and before that get tested of capable of doing so. I have no doubts that Rabbi Gabi Holtzberg would have being able to handle it in a wise manner.

Nevertheless, we must acknowledge that having a gun many times doesn’t mean safety, but in a wrong hand can cause more harm and cause more risk.

I used to be in favor of gun control, but now, I came to think that most “bad guys” own guns and know how to use it to do evil; so, why not give a chance of good people who get good training have a chance of using it with wisdom for self-defense.

The times are not good and in America guns selling are increasing due to insecurity of all sorts. But learning how to shoot can be very expensive – in Israel it happens to be very affordable and there are several schools as seen at this site http://caliber3.webads.co.il .

It’s complicated to see such reality. I wouldn’t judge at such times, when unfortunately terrorism is dominant. I just hope and pray that the Jewish people shouldn’t need to be afraid; but, I think that we must make sure our homes have proper secure locks, windows and etc, and hope we won’t have to be counting on guns for our very lives, but on Hashem, our keeper.

I hope and pray all Israel enemies be scattered and we see the day that no Jewish person in Israel and in the world will ever have to worry about having to load a gun on Shabbat and weekday too!

Ps: As I just finished writing this text – I check an e-mail saying that the hottest bump sticker on the market now reads: I will keep my guns, freedom & money…You can keep the“change”!http://www.discountbookdistributors.com/illkeepmygunsbumpersticker.aspx

I guess it gives me more thoughts on the matter.

By Carine

No comments:

Post a Comment